How can I avoid GMO products?
GMOs can be found in cereals, snack bars, snack boxes, cookies, processed lunch meals, and crackers. They are also hidden in commonly processed food ingredients such as Amino Acids, Aspartame, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin C, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Flavorings (“natural” and “artificial”), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Lactic Acid, Maltodextrins, Molasses, Monosodium Glutamate, Sucrose, Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), Xanthan Gum, Vitamins, Yeast Products.
The simplest way to avoid these GMO products is to look for foods specifically labeled “Non-GMO” and “Certified Organic.”
Shopping organic is the best step towards ensuring you are consuming the healthiest foods possible.
Know where GMOs are found and try to avoid them:
- Read labels carefully to detect ‘possible’ genetically modified ingredients
- Buy products that are certified as 100% organic or labeled as non-GMO
- Choose 100% grass-fed beef (as corn-fed ones are having GMO corn for a diet!)
- Try as much as possible to avoid processed foods and cook at home, from scratch
- Grow your own garden if you have the space.